Marzano Academies Competency-Based Education Conference: 2 Day Conference
June 21 and June 22 at the Marzano Academies offices in Centennial, Colorado.
Partnering with schools and communities to implement personalized Competency-Based Education
“Marzano Academies will be a lighthouse to all schools in the United States as to what public education can and should be and demonstrate the concrete means to manifest this vision within their local communities."
– Robert Marzano, PhD.
Welcome to Marzano Academies
Marzano Academies works in partnership, with all types of schools, to help school leaders and teachers create a competency-based education system. Our team members train teachers on competency-based education components, help teachers deploy a competency-based, student data management system and provide up-to-date research products on best teaching and assessment practices. The Marzano Academies’ team, from start-to-finish, guides a school from traditional educational practices to developing a personalized, student-centered, competency-based system.
Competency-Based Education is a system of instruction where students advance to higher-levels of learning when they demonstrate mastery of concepts and skills regardless of time, place, or pace (Foundation for Excellence in Education).
The guiding principles are:
- Students advance upon demonstrated mastery.
- Competencies include explicit, measurable, transferable learning objectives that empower students.
- Assessment is meaningful and a positive learning experience for students.
- Students receive rapid, differentiated support based on their individual learning needs.
Learn More about Marzano Academies
Schools and School Systems
The Benefits of a Marzano Academies Partnership
- Access to a Marzano Academy implementation specialist to monitor campus.
- Direct access to Dr. Marzano, regarding the implementation of your Competency-Based Education system.
- Access to online training and C-BE implementation resources.
- Value added professional development content, regularly updated to our website.
- Links to other Marzano Academies’ practitioners.
- Access to a network of schools implementing their unique vision of Dr. Marzano’s Personalized, Competency-Based Education.
- Resources to help teachers continuously improve and the Marzano self-reflection scales to measure personal effectiveness.
- Video content to review critical professional development content and learn on your time and at your pace.
Marzano Academies provides, intensive, highly-specialized professional development for each campus, delivered by Marzano-trained, Site Implementation Specialists. Each Site Implementation Specialist works closely with campus leadership and staff to create a unique, sequential, professional development learning sequence which is consistently monitored by one, supervising specialist. This carefully monitored approach to professional development ensures training consistency and fidelity to the Marzano Academy model.
- Marzano Academies assigns a research associate, called a Site Implementation Specialist, to work directly with each campus and this person is responsible for the successful rollout of the Competency-Based Education system on each campus, from implementation to the completion of the Marzano 16 School-Level Indicators.
- The Site Implementation Specialist assigned to each campus works directly with school leadership to determine the appropriate pacing and sequence of professional development topics.
- Professional development from highly-trained Marzano Academies research associates, including Dr. Marzano, is the foundation to our successful Competency-Based Education program. To ensure a customized solution for your professional development needs, Marzano Academies tailors our training sessions to meet your pedagogical and financial requirements. We have three professional development models:
A traditional professional development model, whereby a Marzano Academies associate visits your campus, in-person, 22-days throughout the academic year. For example, your campus could initiate a Marzano Academies “kick-off” at the beginning of the academic year, with three-days of training, followed by monthly visits, with mid-year “check-up” training sessions and ending the academic year with multi-day “looking back and looking forward” training sessions.
A hybrid professional development model of both in-person campus visits and virtual training sessions. Dependent on your school’s time commitment and available budget, the hybrid approach could be an ideal solution. A Marzano Academies Site Implementation Specialist is assigned to work with your campus and the ratio of in-person to virtual training is completely customizable. For example, a Site Implementation Specialist could visit your campus at the beginning and end of the academic year and provide virtual training throughout the remainder of the academic year. Our virtual trainings are converted to modules so your campus receives the hour equivalent of our 22-days of professional development.
The all-virtual, professional development model. A Marzano Academies Site Implementation Specialist, and when appropriate, Dr. Marzano, provide virtual training sessions for the entire school staff. The virtual model consists of 22-learning modules which are approximately equivalent to 22-days of in-person professional development. Each module consists of one, 60-90-minute training session followed by office hours or small group question and answer time. Our virtual model is the most flexible and economical of our professional development models.
Marzano Academies, Inc. provides a much-needed blueprint for communicating a desired future state of public education. The organization fully supports schools as they translate that future into current work so that schools can take action to achieve it. Our partnership with Marzano Academies grants us access to decades of research, knowledgeable coaches, and powerful practices that will yield powerful results with time and commitment.
Article: How Patrick Hardy Worked to Reclaim Proviso East
Blog Post: Dr. Hardy moves to Oak Park and River Forest High School
Dr. Patrick Hardy
Principal, Proviso East High School
The partnership with Marzano Academies has brought rapid growth to our pedagogy and philosophies. We have world-class research, world-class practice, but most importantly world-class people who deliver quality and intense professional development for the benefit of a single student. The student focus is tangible. I am honored to work with such fine people and build relationships with them along the way. This is not a drive-by PD, it is a roadmap to implementation. Bill, Bob, and all the parties at Marzano Academies are not a one-time delivery, it is a hand in hand partnership to implement Competency-Based and Personalized Learning.
Supt of Garfield 16
The staff at Benson Middle School selected to partner with Marzano Academies as our school reform model. The partnership has given the staff a clear vision and a road map to changing instructional practices that improve outcomes for kids.
Principal of Benson Middle School
Being part of Marzano Academies has been a great partnership for our students, teachers and district. Marzano Academies has pushed our practices and thinking to the next level. Marzano Academies provides our teachers with the skills and strategies to give students a student centered pathway to support them as individuals on their learning journey. The work we have done with classroom assessments and feedback has redefined the way we think and deliver our instruction to support the individual student. Furthermore, the relationships we have built have been supportive and personalized to what each of us needs.
Center for Family Learning
Using the checklists to capture evidence from my learners has increased feedback to them. Using the checklist and having them attached to specific education outcomes, I can provide more targeted and detailed feedback to each learner.
Becoming a Marzano Academy is not easy, but the most worthwhile effort any school can undertake. This is especially true because of the support and leadership provided by Marzano Academies and its network of connected schools. If you are a school leader looking for a better way to educate kids, you’ve come to the right place. Partnering with Marzano Academies has been the opportunity of a life time and I highly encourage you to see if it is the right fit for your school too.
Principal, Flynn Elementary School
Our moral obligation is to provide equitable education and build agency in all of our students. We know the best way to provide equitable education is through competency-based personalized education. This is a heavy yolk so a quality partner is essential for success. We in GCSD 16 are fortunate to work with Marzano Academies as they provide an abundance of resources, fantastic training, and expert advice. All of this is based on the most significant and trusted education research available. Their mission is the same as ours and they tailor their services to fit our needs much like we tailor our teaching to fit the unique needs of our students. Marzano Academies is with us every step as we advance from the hope of equity to the reality of learning for all.
Asst. Supt Garfield 16 Colorado
school level indicators of a marzano academy
The Academy model is based on 50+ years of research by Dr. Marzano
- Safe, Orderly, and Supportive Environment
- Student Efficacy and Agency
- Personal Projects
- Instruction and Teacher Development
- Blended Instruction
- Cumulative Review
- Knowledge Maps
- Measurement Topics
- Cognitive and Metacognitive Skills
- Explicit Goals for Students’ Status and Growth
- Reporting and Grading
- Collective Responsibility
- Flexible Scheduling