The Marzano Academies Model
How does a Marzano Academy Function?
Marzano Academies is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, education support organization that promotes Dr. Robert Marzano’s research to develop and support unique, high-reliability K-12 schools. The research includes highly effective schools, school leadership innovation, assessment strategies, teacher development, and whole-school improvement.
Marzano Academies include partnership academies with traditional schools, as well as school district and independently managed charter schools.
Dr. Marzano has identified 16-School Level Indicators that by themselves are effective but when executed together have a combined effect greater than the sum of their parts. The Marzano Academies Implementation Specialists are on-site for 22-days to monitor performance, provide feedback, and deliver the appropriate professional development to increase capacity in the schools and support the continuous improvement process.
What are the Unique Components of a Marzano Academy?
16-School Level Indicators of High Reliability
10 Focus Areas of the Academies Instructional Model
Marzano Created Proficiency Scales
Scales for Metacognitive and Cognitive Skills
22 Days of Support from Professionally Trained Marzano Academies Implementation Specialists
1. 22-days of onsite, professional development and coaching, with an assigned Marzano Site Implementation Specialist.
Phase - 1 focus:
- Introduction to a Personalized Competency-Based Education (PC-BE) program,
- Introduction to assessment and instruction using Proficiency Scales,
- Development of learner-centered classroom practices.
2. Introduction, guidance and development of customized, school-specific (Marzano) Proficiency Scales.
3. The Marzano Academy Instructional Manual - full descriptions of the 15 components that define a Marzano Academy.
4. Empower Software. Student user licenses; product Introduction and technical support on “getting started” with the new student, data management system.
5. The Marzano Compendium of Instructional Resources, a vast online resource of educational research and materials to support classroom teachers.
6. Individual teacher support. Site Implementation Specialists work with the school’s leadership and teaching staff to measure and provide feedback on PC-BE progress. They will use the Proficiency Scales created by Dr. Marzano, to measure the 10-Focus-Areas of the Marzano Academies Instructional Model and the 16 School Level Indicators.
1. 22-days of onsite, professional development and coaching with an assigned Marzano Site Implementation Specialist.
Phase – 3 focus:
- Teacher development,
- Individual student, classroom and school reporting linked with Empower.
2. Empower Software. Student user licenses and continued technical support.
3. Proficiency Scales continued monitoring and customization.
4. Personal Project Development: Planning tools for student to generate, execute, and revise plans as needed to meet their project goals.
5. Introduction of Writing to Win, a writing program specifically designed to be complimentary with the Marzano Academies’ (PC-BE) to program.
6. The Marzano Vocabulary program
7. Individual teacher support. Site Implementation Specialists work with the school’s leadership and teaching staff to measure and provide feedback on PC-BE progress. They will use the Proficiency Scales created by Dr. Marzano to measure the 10-Focus-Areas of the Marzano Academies Instructional Model and the 16 School Level Indicators.